Thursday, October 20, 2011

Eating Moderately

Last Tuesday I went for MGTT in Precinct 9. What is MGTT? It stands for Modified Glucose Tolerance Test. A test which should be done during 28 weeks of pregnancy, and above. But in my case, due to I have gained a lot of weight, I was asked to undergo the MGTT at the 24th week of pregnancy. Anyway, Most people will be required to fast the night before taking MGTT, from 10pm, until the test is done (depends on what time you arrive at the clinic and how many patients are in line :P). I was feeling rather weak that day and I suspected it was due to low Hb. Indeed I was right.

So, I went for the test at 8.30am, had my Hb and urine tested, then off to the lab for glucose test. First, blood sample was taken and then the glucose-drinking part. It was darn sweet to the max! My head felt dizzy not long after that. FYI, after taking the glucose, we area required to fast for another 2 hours until the second blood sample is taken. I just sat there and waited agonisingly for 11am. Met Syuriza there. Had a brief talk before she went back to her office.

Around 11.15am, my name was called. Then the second blood sample was taken. The nurse even asked did I throw up. And guess what? She said the glucose in blood was quite high and I was referred to the doctor. The result was 5.36 mmol/l (before) and 9.16 mmol/l (after). I remembered that the night before bed I ate 2 bananas and 1 glass of Ribena. Bukan apa, takut lapar. Dah lapar kang ngamuk-ngamuk pulak kat klinik kang. Dahla pergi sana sorang-sorang (my husband attended a safety course in Ritz-Carlton). Sudahnya MGTT result was HIGH.


1999 WHO Diabetes criteria - Interpretation of Oral Glucose Tolerance Test
Glucose levelsNORMALimpaired fasting glycaemia (IFG)impaired glucose tolerance (IGT)Diabetes Mellitus (DM)
Venous PlasmaFasting2hrsFasting2hrsFasting2hrsFasting2hrs
(mmol/l)<6.1<7.8> 6.1 & <7.0<7.8<7.0>7.8>7.0>11.1
(mg/dl)<110<140>110 & <126<140<126>140>126>200
Impaired glucose tolerance is often associated with insulin resistance and is often seen in Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome.
Source : wikipedia

SEDIH OK! Memangla during pregnancy I eat a lot. But then, I was really hungry and always end up having heart burns and indigestions. Test gula je dah sampai pukul 11.30am. The nurse cakap kena scan card for afternoon session to see the doctor. Down habis the whole Tuesday. The session ended at 4.30 am. Sehari suntuk habis kat klinik je.

Owh, another bad news, I have to do the BSP, Blood Sugar Profile on the 28th October. 4 kali okeh! First will be before I take breakfast (around 7.30am), then 2 hours after that. Then, after lunch, and the last one after dinner (around 8.30pm, the clinic closes at 9.30pm). Mau tak sedih berpanjangan. rasa nak totally salahkan genetic pulak. I have contradicting issues, which are iron deficiency and high glucose. But then, we'll see on the 28th ok? Saya berdoa *kuat-kuat* supaya takdela confirm gestational diabetes. Gestational Diabetes is caused when the insulin supply is not enough to the digest the sugar in the blood due to hormonal suppression. Yela, dividing 2, for the mom and the baby. Same goes to my iron deficiency. Uhuk.

So hard for me to accept this situation but the nurse said fret not. Jaga pemakanan and eat less carbs. Carbs will turn into sugar to produce energy. Same goes to gluten and simple sugars from the fruits, nuts, honey etc.. Kena makan low Glycemic Index food so that the sugar release into the blood is slow it gives time for the insulin to work. So I already packed up my fridge with bran, yogurt, oranges and low fat milk. I've also stopped drinking EnfaMama for the mean time, and just drink plain low fat milk instead. Udahla jarang exercise, lepas makan, duduk je. Huhuhu~ Antara dugaan yang paling hebat ialah, teringin nak makan macam-macam. Semalam pergi Carrefour, tengok Aunty Anne's Pretzels, teringin sangat. The smell of the baked goods wafting, uuhhhhh~ DUGAANNNNN!. Balik je terus makan wholemeal tortilla wrap dengan salad with chicken balls *sambil membayangkan chocolate eclairs kat Aunty Anne's*. Kenyang, Alhamdulillah...

Since my baby is almost 6 months now, I think it will be a good time to invest in a bicycle and ride them around the neighbourhood. Kan? Dan husband pun duk bising yang dia dah gemuk. Bolehla berbasikal petang-petang hari di kawasan perumahan. Nak baby sihat punya pasal (dan tak nak kena c-section or induced), sekarang kena makan moderately and exercise regularly (light exercise ye, bukan weight lifting or jogging). Semoga berat saya tidak lagi mendadak. Sekarang dah 60kg. Wah wah. Harap-harap not more than 65kg when nearing the due date. Ameen.

Sekian. Kali ini saya tak merepek.

5 comments:

Nini Marini said...

hye sis niha,nini again! hehe

hope u are not having gestational diabetes during your pregnancy.watch out your sugar intake k sis. bagus akak banyak minum susu and all dairy products.even midwife sy pun cakap, eat not more than 3 fruits per day.because fruits gives you direct sugar.

cycling is a good idea. tapi kalau takde basikal, berjalan pun ok insyaAllah. boleh bakar lemak.

oh ye, my tips for your sweet tooth. elakkan keluar jalan² tempat jual bende manis ni, kedai kek ke, etc.merepek je tu,haha! walaupun mmg sedaplah. as for me, i'd rather bake myself,anything my hormone desires.last week carrot cake, last 2 days apple crumble, and tomorrow will be moist chocolate cake.and you know what sis? i ended up giving away all my baking to people, just took one slice for me and i'm satisfied. try lah ye! all the best!

nihadriz said...

hi nini!

actually fruits with fiber is good for comsumption but then, depends on the body. i'm not really into cakes and sweet stuffs really often. but then, since i got pregnant, i eat a lot of rice! before this, nak makan nasik pun susah. in fact i only eat rice 3-4 time per month. i've had terrible indigestion sometimes followed by diarrhea due to eating rice.

owh, i pun suka bake, tp tak suka makan. best kan tengok orang makan sampai habis? terasa dihargai :D

nihadriz said...

nini, i just went to your page. laaaa...wife mas aidiff?? heheh~ kirim salam kat dia ok? :)

marmalade said...

oh nini is mas aidiff's wife? haha. sorry, out of topic :)

niha, janganlah sedih sangat ok. actually i want to advise you also cannot because i am not yet pregnant. plus i think different people would have different experiences kan? maybe ada similarities. but you really have to be kuat ok, ni tengok entry bawah tuh pi masak leftover cake pudding. orang yang tak pregnant macam myself pun terliur. hahahahah.

nihadriz said...

kak mala : hehehhe~ i made the pudding because my parents had lunch at my house. lauk semua beli. i masak nasik n pudding je :P. nak kira compensate la kononnya haha..

small world kan? terjumpa pulak nini kat blogging world :D