Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Recipe - Not-So Rainbow Cake :P

I just crumb-coated the cake *please ignore the lopsisedness*
Malas nak remake the frosting. Sedap okeh whipped cream frosting!

Heyyyyyy guess what???

I made a rainbow cake on Sunday!!! Ni semua gara-gara buat Fara's calligraphy and I was doomed into baking a cake! (Yela la tu kannn haha)

Update : Baru potong pagi tadi hahahahha~
Supposedly I was about to bake on Saturday BUT the gel colouring WILTON brand cost me a bomb per bottle! (RM14 per small bottle which contains a tablespoon of colouring is WAYYY to expensive - it's imported but why would I waste my money on that, kan?)

So I managed to drag dearest husband to Bangi - Yummie Baking Shop. I bought only 3 colours - red, yellow and blue - primary colours. Yeah, cheapskate. Mixing colours is a good choice when you're on tight budget hahahahahaa *tak bersalah langsung*

I suggest you take the recipe from here because they use less sugar.
You want to use other recipes but th one on Martha Stewart's was WAY TOO SWEET. Imagine I even used 1 1/2 cups of sugar instead of 2 1/3 cups, AND IT IS STILL WAYYY TOO SWEET.

So, here's the recipe - and I adapted

Cake
Preheat oven 175'C or 350'F

3 cups self-raising flour
(or plain flour with 4 teaspoons of baking powder)
1 1/2 cups caster sugar
225 g butter - room temperature
5 eggs (but I use only the egg whites)
2 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 cup milk - room temperature (or your butter would look curdled - but it's fine. The cake fluffed up anyway haha)
Rainbow colours - red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo, violet
(since I'm making a 6-layer cake, so I ditch the indigo colour)

How-to
  1. Cream the butter and sugar together until fluffy. 
  2. Add in the egg whites one at a time. 
  3. Then alternate between the milk and the flour. 
  4. Divide into 6 bowls and add in the colourings. 
  5. Line up the baking tins with some butter and baking sheet. Pour in the batter. Bake for 15 minutes and check with a toothpick - if the toothpick is clean, you're ready to take out teh cake from the oven. Let cool on the wire racks.
Frosting/Filling (take your pick)

1. Butter Cream Icing
1 cup icing sugar
350 grams unsalted butter
2 teaspoon lemon extract

Mix everything and whip them up until fluffy. I have doubled the recipe so should be enough to fill and frost the entire cake :D

2. Whipped Cream Frosting (Keep refrigerated - I use this one because I was too lazy to whip up the butter)
500ml whipping cream
2 tablespoon sugar
2 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 teaspoon lemon extract/paste

Whip everything up until soft peaks appear. DO NOT overwhip - your cream will turn into butter and you'll get butter milk as well :P
or

3. Cream Cheese Frosting
250g cream chesse
100g butter
1 cup icing sugar
2 tablespoon vanilla
2 teaspoon lemon extract/paste/lemon zest :D

(ok, I love everything with lemon to tell you the truth)
  1. Whip the cream cheese until soft
  2. Add in the sugar, vanilla and lemon paste
4. Lemony Swiss Meringue Butter-cream
9 egg whites
1 3/4 cups (350g) granulated sugar
500g unsalted butter, at room temperature
2 teaspoons lemon extract
  1. Double-boiler method - mix egg white + sugar = until smooth
  2. Remove from heat and beat at high speed with mixer until fluffed up like meringue
  3. Slow in and add in butter - beat with low speed and when all butter is in - put on high speed again until well incorporated.
  4. Add in the lemon extract and mix a while.

Ok, I was left with only 5 colour because I kinda burnt the red layer (top most layer) - I didn't notice the oven was on "grill mode" until I saw my red layer was all browned up on the top. Although it looked like burnt, the taste was just fine - that's how I know how the cake tasted like - tad too sweet to my liking.

Ok, enjoy your baking time!

2 comments:

Wuhuu Mommy said...

sebab i nak calligraphy in rainbow colours? hahaha

nihadriz said...

Fara : yeaaaa tepat sekali! Kikikikiiii