Sunday, June 23, 2013

Breastfeeding - Managing Your Deep Freezer (Chest Type)

A friend from the old division called. Fariz. He asked for tips on buying deep freezer for his wife, Huda. Alhamdulillah. She's been stocking up EBM and planning to make sure that she fully breastfeeds her daughter :). The first child, a son, didn't get to breastfeed fully so I guess people are getting aware of the benefits of breastfeeding :)

I did give him tips on the deep freezer. With the range of price from RM500-RM650, usually what you get is a deep freezer that is NOT frost-free. Unless you bought an upright deep freezer (which is more costly, but very convenient with drawers - don't have to bend over and rummaging through piles of EBM).

I have been using the freezer for a year now and the frost-forming is controllable. I own an Faber brand with 100L capacity. Here are some tips for you to lessen the frost build up in your freezer (and you don't have to hack the frost every month hehe) and how to make sure your BEM is easy to find (especially for those who have loads of them)
  1. Freeze your EBM in flat position so that when they've frozen up, it's easy for you to arrange them. Saves A LOT of space too.
  2. Arrange your EBM in boxes/big plastic bag according to the months. And tag in  BIG LETTERS if you must. Personally I prefer in boxes. I ransacked the unused A4 or toner catridge boxes at the office. Smart eh? :D
  3. Keep the deep freezer full. Empty freezers will make frost build up quicker. Less air = less condensation = less frost.
  4. Less opening a deep freezer helps a lot. Make only 1 trip max per day.
  5. Arrange for First In First Out (FIFO) - the older ones should stay on top. Arrange smartly of you'll get lost amidst the stacks of frozen EBM - very tiring and time consuming.
  6. Do not mix your EBM with groceries. If it's only ice cream or ice cubes, or baby's frozen puree, it's ok. We want to make sure less risk of contamination.

Anything that I miss? Hmmm... Can't think of any now. Will update soon :)


1 comment:

Unknown said...

rindu zaman buat stok dulu..now dah campur..btw,kalau u nak beli storage bag boleh tgk kat blog i..selingan sikit takpe kan? :)